Sunday, August 30, 2009

Walk down road: August 30th

Location: Far Eastern Calhoun County, MI, near Albion

I decided to walk down the road to a local pig farm's pond. Here is the list of species seen, followed by a detailed description:

On the way there:
Birds:
Northern Cardinal
Unknown Call
American Crow
American Goldfinch
Black-capped Chickadee
Blue Jay
Possible Indigo Bunting

Notable Insects:
Tiger Swallowtail
Carolina Locust

At the pig farm's pond:
Birds:
Cedar Waxwing
Mallard
House Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Great Blue Heron
Teal sp.
White-breasted Nuthatch
Turkey Vulture

Reptiles:
Painted Turtle

On the way back home:
Birds:
Red-tailed Hawk
Eastern Bluebird
Empid. spp.
Eastern Phoebe
Gray Catbird

Mammals:
White-tailed Deer

Wildflowers:
Aster spp.
Joe-pie Weed
Goldenrod

The Details:
Basically the only thing active around the house were Northern Cardinals. I know from my past experiences researching these birds in Ohio they had a fledgling, you could hear it begging. For a minute I thought this was going to be the only thing I would see, not much activity. Further down the road was an unknown call, sadly I don't know all my calls yet. Then I heard some angry crows off in the distance, were they mobbing something? Next, I found a beautiful Tiger Swallowtail on a thistle, but I didn't bring my camera. Further down the road near someone's yard were a small flock of American Goldfinches, they seemed pretty cheerful.Next were some Black-capped Chickadees, and a Blue Jay calling from somewhere. When I almost got to the pig farm, I heard what sounded like an Indigo Bunting call, but I was not for sure.

The pig farm's pond was full of activity. In some buttonbushes in the middle of the pond, sat a female Red-winged Blackbird, surrounded by House Sparrows and Cedar Waxwings. The Waxwings were the most prominent bird there, there had to be at least 50 of them. Standing not to far from the shore was a Great Blue Heron. There were a couple of Mallards in the pond, and later a female teal of some sort came out, but I didn't get a good enough look for an id, maybe a blue-winged. Before I left, I noted a Turkey Vulture circling not far away, and a White-breasted Nuthatch calling from nearby. There were Painted Turtles sunning themselves on various rocks and logs sticking out of the water

On my way back, first thing I saw was a small doe White-tailed Deer by the road. I watched her for a while before she finally ran away. Then a Red-tailed hawk called from a distance. Finally I got to someone's yard and could see birds in a tree. One of them was an empidonax of some sort, and the rest looked thrush-like. When they flew, glimpes of blue indicated they were Bluebirds. At the edge of the yard, I watched a Phoebe fly out and capture an insect. Also on the way home, I finally ticked off my last bird for the walk, a Gray Catbird.

No comments:

Post a Comment